Lake View Cemetery - News and Events


Note: Spring Cleanup has been completed.  The cemetery gates now close at 8:30 PM

Saints and Sinners Tours 

     Our 13th Annual Saints and Sinners Tour with the Fenton History Center  will be held Saturday,

     October 6th and 13th, with Mausoleum Tours on Sunday, October 14th.  Each year these tours are a well-

     attended, ever-popular event.  Horse-drawn carriages, actors in costume, and knowledgeable guides 

     contribute to a memorable afternoon/evening in Lake View Cemetery.  In 2018 make it a point to 

     attend these tours to learn more about the fascinating people, thrilling incidents, and long-lost stories of 

     Jamestown's past - and maybe tour a mausoleum or two!  Tickets and reservations for the 2018 Saints and

     Sinners tour will be available from the Fenton History Center this summer.  Call 716-664-6256 to get on

     their email list to be reminded of this event.  Come learn why this event has become a yearly tradition for

     so many area families and friends.  Walking and horse-drawn tours are available.  Each tour features

     different characters, so why not attend both?!  New stories and characters every year, along with some old

     favorites.  See you there!   

                                  Summer Hours in effect (Gates will be open from 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM)

     The cemetery grounds will be open from 7:30 AM until 8:30 PM during the spring/summer.  The current 

     hours are always posted on all the cemetery gates.  Always check the gate signs to confirm closing time.  If you

     become locked in the cemetery with your vehicle, try these phone numbers, if you have a cell phone - 

     716-490-3778, or 716-720-3403.  Please note that the three small Pedestrian Gates are always left unlocked

     (except on Halloween evening).  Two of these gates are located along Lakeview Ave., and one is located along

     North Main St.

                                 "The Looking Glass" - The Lake View Cemetery Association newsletter

     Want to keep up on all that's happening at Lake View Cemetery?  It may be a quiet place, but you'd 

     probably be surprised by all that takes place here each year.  Keep informed by subscribing to our free

     quarterly newsletter, "The Looking Glass".   Simply send us your email address, and we will faithfully

     send you a copy every few months.  It's full of articles and photos of the programs, history, and people - 

     past and present - that make Lake View Cemetery the noteworthy place it is in our local area.  




                              Veteran's Grove Dedication - June 13, 2015

    After several years of planning, the Dedication of Veteran's Grove in Lake View Cemetery took place at

     11:00 A.M., on Saturday, June 13, 2015, at the site located just north of the Sheldon Gate, which is located 

     at the north end of Lakeview Avenue.  Tents were erected for the occasion, and seating was provided for

     attendees.  Appropriate music and services took place in the shadow of the 80-foot flagpole and large flag 

     (20' x 38') at the event.  This was the third time in the cemetery's 157-year history that a veteran's area was

     established.  The first dedicated veteran's site was established in 1862, and was named Monument Hill.  

     It holds the remains of 113 pre-World War I veterans.  The second veteran's area is Soldier's Circle, dedicated

     in 1921, and now almost full with nearly 1200 veterans.  See our 'Maps and Directions' page to locate these



     Much remains to be done to complete the infrastructure around Veteran's Grove.  Organizations and

     individuals are encouraged to inquire about donations to help complete this worthy project.  Please see

     the article below concerning the Friends of Lake View Cemetery, Inc.

Update - October 17, 2016

     Ground was broken Monday, October 17, 2016, for further work on the Veteran's Grove area.  A divided 

     roadway has been installed from the entrance gate to the flag, as well as a connector road from the existing

     burial area to the flag.  Much remaining work is expected to be accomplished in 2017 and 2018. 

Update - October 19, 2017

      A colored, stamped concrete concourse connecting the roadways in the area of the main flagpole is in the

      process of being installed at Veteran's Grove.  When completed (end of October), this will provide an area

      for people to gather for services adjacent to the flagpole.  Please come see the activity at our Veteran's 

      Grove area.  We are extremely grateful to the Lenna Foundation for funding this portion of the ongoing

      Veteran's Grove project.




                                                                     Friends of Lake View Cemetery, Inc.

     The Friends of Lake View Cemetery, Inc., has been established and chartered as a 501(c)3 not-for-profit

     charitable organization dedicated to assisting the Lake View Cemetery Association with its short and

     long-term goals.  The Friends will act as a fund-raising arm of the Cemetery to aid in the completion of

     the Veteran's Grove project, other planned development, and endowment assistance.  Officers are:

     President -  David S. Alm 

     Vice-President - William R. Reynolds III

     Treasurer - Charles T. Hall

     Secretary - Samuel R. Genco

     Trustees - David S. Alm, Jane D. Kidder, Andrea L. Magnuson, Mathew M. Moore,

                           & Elaine M. Rissel, George C. Schwob III, Anthony F. Dolce, Daniel K. Nagle

                           Hugh B. Golden - Business Manager

     Organizations, businesses, or individuals wishing to inquire about any aspect of the Friends of Lake

     View Cemetery, Inc., are invited to phone the Cemetery office at 716-665-3206. 


                                                     Decorating Graves in Lake View Cemetery


     Remember that plantings and decorations allowed vary from section to section.  Please contact the office

     staff for further assistance when placing items at gravesites.  Generally speaking, when decorating, do not

     use stone, glass, or plastic "chips", and/or small "knick-knacks".  These items can become 'shrapnel' if

     accidentally struck by a mower or trimmer.  Keep decorations and plantings within the bounds of the grave

     space, and as close to the marker or  monument as possible.  Low plastic edging can be used with discretion,

     but mulch is preferred.  Please don't 'fence off' a burial site, and don't simply leave items at a gravesite without

     weeding and tending them occasionally.  Dangerous, offensive, or uncared for items may be removed by

     cemetery personnel.  Use mulch to keep down weeds, and to help the groundskeepers identify planting

     areas.  Please use discretion when decorating.  Avoid excessive decorations, and be considerate of your

     "neighbors".  Keep in mind the ambiance of the cemetery as a whole, rather than the display of just one 

     individual gravesite. 


Veteran's Grove Design Rendering 


  Featured Person or Family at Lake View Cemetery 

     (A continuing series about persons of note buried in Lake View Cemetery)

  (Jan., 2016)

Catherine Harris


        Chautauqua County holds a significant place in the history of the Underground Railroad (UGRR).  Its

        proximity to Lake Erie and Buffalo led to the formation of several well-tread routes and 'stations' for the

        transport of escaping slaves during the early and middle 1800's.  Catherine Harris became one of the

        'conductors' of this enterprise in the Jamestown area about 1831, which is when she is said to have moved

        to Jamestown from Buffalo - one of the first African-Americans to take up residence here.  It is thought 

        that she may have moved here specifically for that purpose.  She became well-known around town, and 

        was employed as a housekeeper, cook, and  midwife by a large number of families in the Jamestown area.

        Born in Titusville, PA, in 1809, she was twice married and spent most of her adult life in Jamestown,

        before passing away in 1907, at the age of ninety-eight.  Much of her life was spent at 12 West Seventh

        Street, in a home that housed many runaway slaves in its time, and served as the original meeting 

        place and early parsonage for what became the A.M.E. Zion Church.  In appreciation for Ms. Harris'

        contributions to the church and to Jamestown's history, a monument at her gravesite in Lake View 

        Cemetery was erected and dedicated in March of 1976 by the church.  

        In an interview for a Jamestown newspaper in 1902, Ms. Harris recalled the secrecy of the U.G.R.R.

        by stating that oftentimes she had no knowledge of the identity of the persons who dropped off or 

        picked up her 'boarders'.  Many of the people she aided were also shy and spoke little, for fear of 

        being betrayed into the hands of their former masters.  It is known that Ms. Harris was assisted in her

        efforts by Silas Shearman, Phineas Crossman, and Dr. William Hedges, all of whom are buried in 

        Lake View Cemetery, but there are undoubtedly a number of others whose names are unknown that

        contributed to this noble effort.




Catherine Harris

Make a free website with Yola